There is a reason why some photographers make animal photography the main focus of their careers – it is really, really hard to take good photographs of animals! They are especially unpredictable subjects, moving when you don’t expect them to and not looking in the direction of the camera. With some practise though, you can get better at capturing animal images.
When you are photographing a moving animal, have your camera on some kind of motion mode. This will ensure the photo you take isn’t blurry, and will show the animal in its full beauty. If you are trying to photograph an animal sitting still, it may take a little more patience, but you could try using a portrait mode to blur out the background and make the animal the real focus.
It’s important to remember that patience is the key here. If you are patient, you will eventually capture an image you are happy with.
Are you shopping for bulk photo frames? The good news is, you can find them for very good prices online, and get the quality you would expect when buying in a smaller quantity as well. You just need to know where to shop and find the right suppliers to work with. Continue reading
Photographs deserve to be beautifully framed, so they can be displayed in an attractive way. A photograph is more than just an image: it is the memory of a moment, and it captures something that is important to you, be it the people in the photo, the scene or the location.
Choosing the right frame will help to finish the photograph off to perfection. Make sure you choose the perfect frame for the composition of your photo and select the right colours to go with your room as well.
When you are choosing a frame, make sure it is the right finish for you. It doesn’t just need to go with the photo – it must go with the room as well. Find a look and colour that works with your home and that makes your photo stand out, so it all pulls together and creates the right kind of look for you.
Photographers have lots of opportunities to travel and take some amazing photographs. Working on a cruise ship is one of the best ways to travel, as it gives a photographer a good income, as well as them having the chance to explore and see the world. There are lots of opportunities for good photographers to earn a living in this way.
If you would like to get into this industry, make sure you have a good portfolio. Ensure that many of the images are based around travel – if you haven’t done any professional travel photography work, try just taking your camera on holiday to get some portfolio shots. It is also helpful to make sure you have lots of examples of portraits and people photography, as much of the job will involve photographing the cruise guests.
Be prepared for some hard work – cruise ship photography is going to mean long and unsociable hours, and a lot of time spent at sea. However, you are probably already used to working long hours as a photographer!
Christmas is a dream come true for photographers. If you are a professional photographer, you will probably already be booked up with Christmas shoots, giving you plenty of scope for finding work. If not, it is a great opportunity to gain experience and find new ways of working with your camera and with your subjects.
If you are attending any parties, such as the office Christmas party, ask if you can be an unofficial photographer. Take your camera along and see what you are able to capture. Even if you haven’t agreed to any terms and conditions, you will be able to practise and show people what you are capable of doing. This is the perfect way to build up your portfolio and also to work on honing some of your skills with your camera. Don’t be afraid to experiment and make sure you look out for some good subject matter. The story is as important as the photo.
Landscape photography is incredibly popular, allowing you to capture the expansive beauty of a landscape or scene. If you want to do it properly and make sure you really do have everything you want within your image, there are some points you need to remember. Here are some tips:
- It’s all in the composition. You should make sure the horizon is around a third of the way up the photography so you can include more of the important parts. Make sure the image incorporates everything you want it to.
- Use a landscape setting on your camera, if you have one. If not, use something that will give you a very wide angled image, so that everything is in focus.
- Practice. Only practice will make perfect when it comes to photography. Take more images to hone your skills.
- Choose the right weather. Go for dusk if you want atmospheric, or morning for sunny and bright.
Looking for a photographer for an event? There are many professionals out there, many of whom could do a really good job for your event, wedding or party. So how do you go about choosing the right one for you? Here are some of our top tips:
- Look at a photographer’s portfolio and see if you like their work. Look at the types of angles they use and whether photos look natural or staged.
- Find someone with experience in the specific area you are looking for. If you need a wedding photographer, find someone with lots of experience. If you are having a corporate photo shoot, find someone with experience in this.
- Ask about prices. If prices aren’t listed on a photographer’s site, ask them upfront about costs. They may be out of your price range, in which case you will need to think again. Ask if they can recommend anyone.
If photography is your passion, you may decide to turn it into a career. In order to make it as a photographer, you need to have quite a unique skill set – technical knowledge, creativity, a passion for working with people… here are some of the things you should think about ahead of going into business:
- Qualifications. People might be more likely to use you if you have a certification or qualification. It is certainly something you can use in your advertising and marketing campaigns. Choose a course that suits you and your current skill level.
- Cost. Find out what costs are involved in setting up a small business and if there is any help available to you.
- Clients. Make sure you have a good photography portfolio and can market your services. This will help you to find clients. Think about giving away vouchers for a photo shoot to get your name known.
Your lens cap will protect your camera’s lens and prevent it from getting scratched, dirty and damaged. It’s therefore essential you look after it and use it to fully protect your camera and its lens. Lenses can cost a lot of money, so it’s important you look after it and protect your investment. A lens cap that isn’t looked after can do more damage than not using one at all.
Make sure there is nothing on your lens cap, like dust and dirt. If you drop it, see whether you can clean it off and if not, purchase a new one. This is especially the case if you drop it into dust, sand or gravel. Squeeze it to see whether any of the debris has got inside and if it has, don’t put the cap onto your camera. Buy a new one as soon as you can, or you will end up transferring the dirt onto your lens.
A christening is a wonderful event that any budding photographer will want to capture on film. If you are looking for some opportunities to practice your photography skills, taking some photos at a christening is a great way to broaden your horizons.
It’s a great way to practice capturing portraits as you can photograph the baby being christened and its family. Gowns are usually white so be careful with this – you need to make sure you don’t over-expose the image. You can also take some photographs of guests and of the venue itself. If the photographs are good, you may even want to think about getting some professional photography work in future and taking photos at other christenings and events. You can get some of the best photos printed and have them framed as a beautiful and personal gift for the baby’s family – they will really appreciate such a thoughtful present.