Photographs deserve to be beautifully framed, so they can be displayed in an attractive way. A photograph is more than just an image: it is the memory of a moment, and it captures something that is important to you, be it the people in the photo, the scene or the location.
Choosing the right frame will help to finish the photograph off to perfection. Make sure you choose the perfect frame for the composition of your photo and select the right colours to go with your room as well.
When you are choosing a frame, make sure it is the right finish for you. It doesn’t just need to go with the photo – it must go with the room as well. Find a look and colour that works with your home and that makes your photo stand out, so it all pulls together and creates the right kind of look for you.
Photographers have lots of opportunities to travel and take some amazing photographs. Working on a cruise ship is one of the best ways to travel, as it gives a photographer a good income, as well as them having the chance to explore and see the world. There are lots of opportunities for good photographers to earn a living in this way.
If you would like to get into this industry, make sure you have a good portfolio. Ensure that many of the images are based around travel – if you haven’t done any professional travel photography work, try just taking your camera on holiday to get some portfolio shots. It is also helpful to make sure you have lots of examples of portraits and people photography, as much of the job will involve photographing the cruise guests.
Be prepared for some hard work – cruise ship photography is going to mean long and unsociable hours, and a lot of time spent at sea. However, you are probably already used to working long hours as a photographer!
Landscape photography is incredibly popular, allowing you to capture the expansive beauty of a landscape or scene. If you want to do it properly and make sure you really do have everything you want within your image, there are some points you need to remember. Here are some tips:
- It’s all in the composition. You should make sure the horizon is around a third of the way up the photography so you can include more of the important parts. Make sure the image incorporates everything you want it to.
- Use a landscape setting on your camera, if you have one. If not, use something that will give you a very wide angled image, so that everything is in focus.
- Practice. Only practice will make perfect when it comes to photography. Take more images to hone your skills.
- Choose the right weather. Go for dusk if you want atmospheric, or morning for sunny and bright.
Looking for a photographer for an event? There are many professionals out there, many of whom could do a really good job for your event, wedding or party. So how do you go about choosing the right one for you? Here are some of our top tips:
- Look at a photographer’s portfolio and see if you like their work. Look at the types of angles they use and whether photos look natural or staged.
- Find someone with experience in the specific area you are looking for. If you need a wedding photographer, find someone with lots of experience. If you are having a corporate photo shoot, find someone with experience in this.
- Ask about prices. If prices aren’t listed on a photographer’s site, ask them upfront about costs. They may be out of your price range, in which case you will need to think again. Ask if they can recommend anyone.
If photography is your passion, you may decide to turn it into a career. In order to make it as a photographer, you need to have quite a unique skill set – technical knowledge, creativity, a passion for working with people… here are some of the things you should think about ahead of going into business:
- Qualifications. People might be more likely to use you if you have a certification or qualification. It is certainly something you can use in your advertising and marketing campaigns. Choose a course that suits you and your current skill level.
- Cost. Find out what costs are involved in setting up a small business and if there is any help available to you.
- Clients. Make sure you have a good photography portfolio and can market your services. This will help you to find clients. Think about giving away vouchers for a photo shoot to get your name known.
Your lens cap will protect your camera’s lens and prevent it from getting scratched, dirty and damaged. It’s therefore essential you look after it and use it to fully protect your camera and its lens. Lenses can cost a lot of money, so it’s important you look after it and protect your investment. A lens cap that isn’t looked after can do more damage than not using one at all.
Make sure there is nothing on your lens cap, like dust and dirt. If you drop it, see whether you can clean it off and if not, purchase a new one. This is especially the case if you drop it into dust, sand or gravel. Squeeze it to see whether any of the debris has got inside and if it has, don’t put the cap onto your camera. Buy a new one as soon as you can, or you will end up transferring the dirt onto your lens.
Camera cases are very personal things. Everyone will have different preferences and different things will be important to them when transporting and carrying their camera. There are lots of things to take into account and it might even be the case that you will want more than one camera case, depending on how you use all of your photography equipment.
First of all, think about how much equipment you have and how much of it you would want with you at any one time. You can get cases that will accommodate various different pieces of equipment, such as additional lenses and filters. However, if you have lots of lenses, you may want to buy individual cases for them.
If you travel with your camera, protection will be the most important consideration for you. Make sure your case is well padded and will offer you lots of protection for your camera.
Taking photos whilst away from the UK can be a wonderful experience. However, it isn’t always that easy to transport your camera or even to take it out safely in public. It will all depend on where you are going in the world and how you are going to be travelling.
If you are flying, you should always keep your camera with you in your hand luggage. This will help to prevent it from breaking during transit. If you have a lot of equipment and it won’t all fit into your usual hand luggage allowance, you may be able to pay to increase it. If not, go somewhere that you can drive to instead.
You should be very aware of your safety when you take your camera out in busy places on holiday. Be very aware of what is going on around you. If you are able, change the strap and case to non-branded ones so you don’t attract attention to your branded camera.
Cameras on our smartphones are more than adequate to take good quality photos, even if the person taking them is ametuer. Though it depends on the phone being used and the megapixels on the camera, as well as the quality of the lens built into the phone; a good MP to go buy is usually 12MP to 16MP for a fairly good quality photo.
Some of the latest superphones have the ability to connect directly to a photo printer for instant printing of photos, though it depends on the software they came with; the basic software might not have much with it, in terms of style and effects. You can always look for a different photo app if the one installed is inadequate, and you can choose between free or paid apps; the free apps usually had an added risk and will often contain spam advertisements that may be annoying, so might be worth paying a small fee for a paid photo studio type app.